African American artists are invited to submit entries to conceptualize and paint a mural showcasing “Unity, Diversity and Growth” to be painted on the Indianapolis Recorder’s building façade.
The International Marketplace Coalition presents the “Cultural Expression Through Art” public mural program in partnership with the Indianapolis Recorder. Celebrating its 125th anniversary, the Indianapolis Recorder is the nation’s fourth longest-running African American newspaper. This mural will honor the support and empowerment the newspaper has provided during the Indianapolis Recorder’s 125 years of recording news in the Circle City.
One qualified artist will be selected by a panel of jurors consisting of an Indianapolis Recorder representative, International Marketplace representative and professional artists. The selected artist will receive a$1,500 commission (all supplies and materials will be provided) and be featured in the Indianapolis Recorder in addition to social media channels for the newspaper and International Marketplace Coalition.
All work must be original. Guidelines, schedules and other details will be provided to interested artists.
Mural / Project Guidelines:
- The mural concept must be based on the project theme: “Unity, Diversity and Growth”
- The Indianapolis Recorder Executive team will also provide additional guidance
- Design and implementation must be of high skill and excellence and visually appealing
- The concept must be positive, uplifting, inspiring and colorful
- Must be absent of political & social messages and biases, nude images, sexual suggestions or influences
- Artist(s) must be able to complete the mural within a three-week period
- Any artist who is found to have NOT submitted original work will be disqualified and barred from future IMC sponsored events.
Indianapolis Recorder Newspaper Building
2901 N. Tacoma Avenue, Indianapolis, Indiana 46218
NOTE: The Indianapolis Recorder is celebrating it’s 125th Anniversary (1895-2020) of service to the community and welcomes the inclusion of this milestone in the mural, although not as a major focus.
Entry Deadline: Friday, August 14, 2020
The selected artist will be notified by Friday, August 21, 2020. After which a meeting date will be set to review the project before commencement.
The selected artist(s) will be awarded a $1,500 commission for their work. Material, paints, and equipment will be supplied by the project sponsors. Artist will provide a list of items needed to complete the project.
For more information, contact Maria Manalang at MManalang@IMCoalition.org. (email subject field should read: IR MURAL PROJECT)